What NAMA is:
- The North American Mycological Association (NAMA) is a non-profit
organization of professional and amateur mycologists
that includes over 65 mycological
societies in the United States
- NAMA is committed and dedicated to the promotion of scientific
and educational activities related to fungi.
- NAMA supports
the protection of natural areas and their biological integrity.
- NAMA advocates the sustainable use of mushrooms as a resource
and endorse the responsible mushroom collecting that does
not harm the fungi or their habitats.
Why you should join NAMA:
- Increase your knowledge of mushrooms and other fungi.
informed about activities in the field of mycology.
- Be in contact with
people who have a similar interest in mycology, whether it
is taxonomy, ecology, toxicity, mycophagy or the many other practical
uses of fungi.
What NAMA Does:
- Conferences — Holds an annual conference/foray in different
parts of the United States,
often with short courses in mycology, always with lectures
- Newsletter — Publishes six issues per year of a newsletter, The
which gives mycological news and reports, notice of events of
interest to members, reviews of recent books, and poison information.
- Journal — Publishes an annual journal, McIlvainea,
that contains articles by leading professional and amateur mycologists.
- Photo Contest — Conducts an annual photo contest and
loans slide sets of the winning slides of each contest. Conducts
a round-robin slide exchange.
- Directories — Publishes an annual directory of members
and mushroom clubs.
- Affiliated Myco-Clubs — Maintains a listing of mushroom
clubs across North America what are affiliated with NAMA. If
you are looking for a mcyco-club in your area, this is a quick
way to find one.
- Speakers and Foray Mycologists Bureau — Looking
for a speaker for your myco-club? NAMA now maintains a listing
of many of the top names in mycology, both professional and amateur,
who are available for speaking at club meetings and forays. The
and Foray Mycologists Bureau includes information about
the speaker's general area of interest and contact information.